DETROIT, Mich., Nov. 22, 2023 – Aetna Better Health® of Michigan, a CVS Health® company (NYSE: CVS), announced that Aetna® has made two donations totaling $50,000 to Focus: HOPE and Leaders Advancing and Helping Communities to Promote Workforce Development Programs in Michigan. Aetna also provided donations totaling $150,000 to six community organizations to impact social determinants of health.
The donations were presented to both organizations during an event at CVS Health Detroit Center for personnel innovation and talent (WITC). The innovation hub opened this year and offers comprehensive skills training, job placement and community health services.
“There are numerous barriers that individuals living in under-resourced communities face when trying to start and succeed in a career, which can impact their long-term health and well-being,” said Teressa Smith, CEO of Aetna Better Health of Michigan. “We are working to support increasing Michiganders’ participation in the workforce by investing in local programs aimed at removing these barriers.”
Focus: HOPE is a nonprofit organization in Wayne County that provides an intergenerational and holistic blend of services to help disrupt the effects of racism, poverty and other forms of social injustice. Aetna contributed to Focus: HOPE’s Workforce Development & Education program, which has helped adults throughout metro Detroit earn higher education degrees and embark on in-demand careers.
Aetna’s $25,000 donation will support a wide range of resources to help students overcome life challenges that would otherwise hinder their success, including transportation assistance, mental health counseling and small stipends to help participants while give them a flying start in their career.
“Giving students the opportunity to develop new skills that will help them on a successful career path is our goal, and bringing them into the classroom to learn is the first step,” said Ashliegh Mitchell, Corporate Philanthropy Officer at Focus: HOPE. “Aetna’s donation will help bridge the gap in the resources our students need to begin their higher education journey.”
LAHC Leaders who move and uplift communities is a nonprofit organization committed to advancing the education, social health and economic well-being of residents of Southeast Michigan. Aetna donated $25,000 to LAHC’s Digital Technology Skills Program, which offers digital exploration programs for adults in the organization’s English as a Second Language programs.
The contribution will enable LAHC to support and expand technology classes focused on project-based and hands-on learning and exposure to computers, software and the Internet to help adults better succeed in school and in their careers with improved digital skills.
“Computer and technology literacy is critical for people to participate in today’s workforce,” said Wassim Mahfouz, CEO of LAHC. “Community investments like this will give students the opportunity to develop their digital skills and increase their readiness to progress in today’s job market.”
During the event, Aetna also donated to other community organizations to address food insecurity, housing, infant mortality and social determinants of health in under-resourced communities across the state. Donations have been made to:
- Community Action Agencyserving Jackson County, to assist individuals recovering from substance abuse by connecting them to services that help maintain stable housing.
- Forgotten harvest, serves metro Detroit in support of the Healthy Food, Healthy Kids Program, which is committed to providing nutritious food to nearly 200,000 children in Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties.
- Housing Resourcesserving Kalamazoo County, to support the purchase of ModPod™ modular units, which are designed to provide adults experiencing unsheltered homelessness with a temporary, comfortable living space that meets their basic needs until permanent housing is secured.
- Ministry with community, serving Kalamazoo County, providing a range of essential and intensive services that work in a complementary way to help people achieve greater long-term stability and progress while coping with the impacts of homelessness and/or poverty.
- Food Bank of Southern Michiganserving Barry, Branch, Calhoun, Kalamazoo, Jackson, Hillsdale, Lenawee and St Joseph counties, supporting its work to provide access to fresh ingredients and shelf-stable produce to our Southern Michigan neighbors.
- YWCA Kalamazoo (Christian Association for Young Women of Kalamazoo)serving Kalamazoo County, to address racial disparities in maternal and infant mortality, pregnancy and birth outcomes between black and white pregnant people and their children by connecting families to social and medical resources.
About Aetna Medicaid
Aetna Medicaid Administrators LLC (Aetna Medicaid), a CVS Health company, has more than 30 years of experience managing care for under-resourced populations, using innovative approaches and a local presence in each market to deliver both successful healthcare outcomes as effective cost-to-achieve outcomes. Aetna Medicaid has expertise in serving high-needs Medicaid members, including those who are eligible for both Medicaid and Medicare. Currently, Aetna Medicaid owns and/or operates Medicaid managed health care plans under the names Aetna Better Health and other affiliated names. Together, these plans serve members in 16 states, including Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia and West Virginia. For more information visit www.aetnabetterhealth.com.
About CVS Health
CVS Health is the leading healthcare solutions company, delivering care like no one else can. We reach more people and improve the health of communities across America through our local presence, digital channels and more than 300,000 employees – including more than 40,000 physicians, pharmacists, nurses and nurses. Wherever and whenever people need us, we help them with their health – whether it’s managing chronic diseases, adhering to their medications or accessing affordable health and wellness services in the most convenient way. We help people navigate the healthcare system – and their personal healthcare – by improving access, reducing costs and being a trusted partner for every meaningful moment of health. And we do it all with heart and soul, every day. Follow @CVSHealth on social media.