This is an article version of the CBS Sports HQ AM newsletter, the ultimate guide to every day in sports. You can sign up here to receive it in your inbox every weekday morning.
Check the sign-up box to confirm you want to subscribe.
Thanks for signing up!
Keep an eye on your inbox.
An error occurred while processing your subscription.
🏈 Football Five
- The picture of the AFC playoff continues to heat up. The Broncos won their fifth straight, 29-12 ( ), about the TanningAnd Sean Payton used to be . The Steelers‘ offense led Pittsburgh to a 16-10 victory over the Jake Browning-LED Bengal. The Jaguars at the top of the Texans24-21 (earns an “A” in ), to stay atop the AFC South. But it’s 6-5 Foals who currently hold the final AFC playoff spot after a 27-20 win over the Buccaneers. Here’s the full playoff photo.
- Zay Flowers scored twice – including a 37-yarder on the ground to win the ball – in the Raven’20-10 victory over the Chargers. Baltimore forced four turnovers.
- The Leaders got back on track and defeated the Robbers 31-17. Patrick Mahomes is now 15-11 over his career in games where he’s trailed by double digits. Isiah Pacheco scored twice, Travis Kelce And Andy Reid became the .
- Without a star quarterback Jordan Travis, State of Florida struggled early before getting by Florida24-15, to move to 12-0. Trey Benson ran for 95 yards and three scores. They also only barely reached 12-0 Washingtonwhich was at the top Washington state 24-21 op Grady Gross‘ 42-yard field goal as time expired. disgusting .
- Louisville‘s (slim) hopes for the College Football Playoff ended with a Unpleasant Kentucky, the Cardinals’ fifth straight loss to the Wildcats. Louisville can now play spoiler, facing Florida State in the ACC Championship Game.
💪 Good morning everyone, but especially…
THE PHILADELPHIA EAGLES AND THE MICHIGAN WOLVERINES
Stop me if you’ve heard this before (like maybe): I don’t want to hear everything Eagles‘ supposed ‘problems’ because they only win. The last win was 37-34 in a rain-soaked, overtime game of the year candidate against the Bills.
- After the Bills tied the score at 34-31 in overtime, Jalen hurts walked away with a 12-yard rushing touchdown.
- It is the first game in NFL history in which multiple players (Hurts and Josh Allen) scored multiple touchdowns in passing and rushing.
- If that were the case, of course there would never have been overtime Jake Elliott had not scored a 59-yard field goal late in regulation. It remains incredibly connectable.
This game had it all, but once again it’s the Eagles (7-1 in one-score games) who had all the answers, while the Bills (2-6 in one-score games) are looking for them. The Bills outgained the Eagles 505-378 in yards, but…
- All and Gabe Davis were on separate pages about a possible game-winning pass in overtime.
- Tyler Bass missed two field goals.
- Buffalo had 11 penalties for 80 yards.
The Bills (6-6) have the second-best point differential (+101) of any team at .500 or worse through 12 games in NFL history. Allen is 0-6 in overtime in his career.
But credit the Eagles. Hurts has been great, and he has now won 14 straight games against teams with winning records and eight straight games where he is trailing by double digits. And the Eagles are winning and winning and winning.
Speaking of winning and winning and winning, Michigan does it with or without his coach. The Wolverines were on top State of Ohio to win “The Game”, 30-24. It’s Michigan’s third straight win in the rivalry, something it hadn’t accomplished since 1995-97; in 1997, Michigan won the national championship.
- Michigan’s defense, which leads the FBS in interception percentage, came up with two big picks: Will Johnson‘s set up the Wolverines ‘ first touchdown, and Rod Moorehas achieved victory.
- In between, JJ McCarthy threw a touchdown to Roman WilsonAnd Blake Corum had two rushing touchdowns.
- The only downside for Michigan was the offensive lineman Zak Zinter . Corum scored a touchdown on the next play to hold a 6-5 lead for Zinter’s No. 65.
Sherron Moore led Michigan to another victory Jim Harbaugh‘s absence, and Dennis Dodd says.
- Dodd: Moore was quickly named acting coach earlier this month when the Big Ten suspended Harbaugh. Not only is Moore a masterful play-caller, he is also the offensive line coach. His last two units were named the best in the country and won back-to-back Joe Moore Awards. … ‘Our guys didn’t flinch,’ Moore said.”
😁 Honorable mentions
😓 And not such a good morning for…
RYAN DAY AND THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES
For two years, Michigan ran over, around and through Ohio State. So, Ryan Day brought back a stronger team and. Losing to Michigan after two years of C.J. Stroud as his quarterbackDay largely lost because of Kyle McCord‘s two turnovers.
Urban Meijer says Dag. Plus, unlike last year, the Buckeyes won’t have a College Football Playoff berth to cushion the blow. And that makes this loss even harder to swallow for his ‘tough’ team. , “Ryan Day makes $9.5 million a year to win one game. The Game.”
Mission failed. Again.
👎 Not so honorable mentions
🌊 Alabama converts miracle fourth-and-goal to win Iron Bowl
Put it there with Tua Tagovailoa Unpleasant DeVonta Smith to win the national championship: Jalen Milroe And Isaiah Bond produced one of the greatest plays ever Alabama‘s legendary history,to save the win from almost certain defeat in a 27-24 Iron Bowl win Chestnut brown.
- How do you even get to fourth down from the 31 yard line? After a first-down run went back 1 yard, the second-down snap went past Milroe. He recovered at the 26-yard line. On third down, Milroe ran past the line of scrimmage, retreated and threw incomplete. That is an illegal forward pass penalty of 5 meters.
- Then the magic came, and it can happen again . It’s so worth it, even if you’ve already seen it.
Yes, Auburn came from oneUnpleasant State of New Mexico. Alabama should have cruised. But crazy things are happening in the Iron Bowl, and this is just the latest news.
If you were to tell an Alabama fan the Tide would have to deal Georgia in the, they would take it with them however they got there. Remember, this is a team that lost to Texas in Week 2 and benched Milroe for one about South Florida. Alabama appeared to be in crisis mode, but Milroe resumed the reins and saved his best for his final game of the regular season.
🏈 College football head coaching carousel is spinning
With the regular football season over, the coaching carousel quickly began to turn.
The largest opening was held by Texas A&M. The AggiesJimbo Visser over two weeks ago (and paid a ). The search was long and winding. Of Mark Stoopsinitially the main target, the Aggies have Duke‘S Mike Elko.
Elko was Fisher’s first defensive coordinator in College Station (from 2018-21) before going 16-9 in two seasons with the Blue Devils.
Shehan Jeyarajahincluded …
- Jeyarajah: “Keeping track of the schedule — Texas A&M has recruited at an elite level in recent years, reaching No. 4 in the 247Sports team Talent Composite. Hire and retain Elko [interim coach] Elijah Robinson is a direct effort to keep together one of the most talented rosters in Texas A&M history.”
Elsewhere in the country…
- After a season, State of Michigan Jonathan Smithwho left his alma mater State of Oregon. In a cruel twist of fate for the Pac-2 Beavers, athletic director Scott Barnes said a few days earlier that a
- The state of Mississippi Jeff Lebbythe Oklahoma offensive coordinator. Lebby knows the Magnolia State well, having previously served as a public servant Ole ma’amoffensive coordinator.
- Indiana Tom Allen after a third straight losing season.
- Houston Dana Holgorsen after the Cougars’ rough SEC debut season.
Goods keeping track of every hire and dismissal with figures and analyses.
📺 What we’ll be watching on Monday
🏀 Lakers at 76ers7 p.m. on NBA TV
🏀 New Hampshire at No. 5 UConn7pm on CBS Sports Network
🏈 Bears at Vikings8:15 PM on ABC/ESPN
🏀 Nuggets at Clippers10:30 PM on NBA TV